Mail Undeliverable: Failure Detected

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 01 Sep 1999 09:22:06 +0200

Could not send message to USER: jennfee
Reason for Mail Failure below:

Message not Delivered.  Recipient's Mailbox Over Quota.

Brian Trout wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I too am baffled by the "P" namebrand.??
>
> The poor repeating of notes on a grand...  I was going to suggest the
> repetition centers, but you said they're good.  You did mention that the
> hammers are on the light side.  Are the repetition springs set tight enough?
> If they're pretty relaxed, it's hard to get good repetition, and with a
> light hammer, the springs are normally set with less tension.  I did see a
> promotional video put out by Steinway, not really intended to be much more
> than an advertisement, that showed a 2 or 3 second clip of a tech setting
> the repetition springs.  It was interesting to me that they were setting
> those springs pretty tight, a lot tighter than I've seen other techs make
> them.  But I've tried making them tighter, and it does seem to improve
> repetition, but the other side of the coin to be reckoned with is checking.
> Too tight and checking can be very difficult, and blubbering hammers can be
> very annoying.  Now there's another can of worms... how tight is too
> tight?...

I prefer a rather strong repetition spring. Not so strong that you "feel" to
much of it when playing. But definatly on the strong side. The hammers are just
a bit light, but not so much that the keys start slowing down on return. (they
are heavily front leaded) To attempt to answer your "worms" question. I like
pushing the borders, and then comeing back at a piano to back off a bit where I
need to (as in blubbering hammers resulting from tight checking and letoff/drop
settings.)

> As for the Yamaha, the only thing I can think of is just what others have
> been suggesting, action frame bedding.  I'm not that familiar with the
> Yamahas, but I'm guessing that perhaps there could be touch bolts, glide
> adjustments, or similar devices, either in the keyframe, or the keybed, that
> would adjust the balance rail area of the action frame, and the front rail
> area of the action frame.  I'm not sure of the key rest rail?.  The only
> other thing that comes to mind, and you've probably already checked this, is
> the possibility of loose screws, the ones that hold the action rails to the
> action frames.
>
> I do like a puzzle!!  :-)
>
> Good luck, Richard.  Let us know how it turns out.

Grin.. with all the fine help and thought provoking discussion one gets on this
list how can I loose ???

> Brian Trout
> Quarryville, PA
> btrout@desupernet.net