Two action questions

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 01 Sep 1999 13:08:49 -0400

Okay, the abridged version:

Growing = changing dimensions
Pot metal (unofficial) = various alloys [sometimes including zinc or lead
content].

On older pianos, I've had more experience (numbers) with pot metal action
brackets on "Marshall & Wendell" pianos. On newer pianos, again statistically
and my own experiences, they've mostly been "Young Changs" (all the more reason
to provide the actual name in certain cases -- some of us have a experiences
with certain brands... none of them named "P".)

The condition can exist whether the brackets appear to be cast iron, aluminum,
or whatever else. Regardless of age or maker (as applicable), certain materials
used in action brackets can change dimension over time. The amount of change is
often -not- visible, so other methods of diagnosing are required. Action spread
at -each- (not one) bracket location is one -- but not the only method of
diagnosing.

The "growth" can occur in any area of the bracket(s), and it appears, in any
direction. Regardless, this means various action components fail to be at the
right place at the right time. Specifically for -your- purposes, some brackets
can be 'good' (or at least not fail at the same time as neighboring brackets,
meaning that some areas will regulate perfectly... others not.

I seem to recall there is additional discussion in the archives on this
subject, but didn't have time to check to make sure.

At 09:31 AM 9/1/99 +0200, you wrote:

> harvey wrote:
>>
>> On #1, are you sure you're not experiencing the "growing action bracket"
>> phenomenon? This condition is -not- exclusive to older actions with pot
>> metal brackets, and, until it is experienced/diagnosed, can cause quite a
>> bit of head-scratching and frustration.
>>

> Grin... Now heres one I havent heard of before. You mind extrapolating a bit
> on what this is all about ??
> Richard Brekne
> I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
> Bergen, Norway