Two action questions

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 01 Sep 1999 18:52:49 +0200

Michael Jorgensen wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>     Have you considered knuckle nap direction in regard to item #1?
> Traditionally, nap feels rough sliding toward the flange and smooth toward
> the hammer.   This reduces friction for easier jack return and increases
> friction for better jack contact during playing in order to reduce jack
> cheating.  On European pianos, the nap direction is sometimes reversed
> which can yield a smoother feel.

Hmm-- no actually tho I suppose I should have.. obvious enough.. I'll have a
look.

>        In a more recent response you indicate that you are considering
> moving the wippen rail to create a straighter line between the knuckle core
> and jack.  Just a few millimeters of shift will cause major changes in all
> aspects of regulation and touch, so be sure to mark diligently the original
> position along with the location of any shims which may exist.
> Good luck,

Yes.. this I know..altering the action geometry requires a full regulation, at
least from the rack upwards. And it has weight concerns as you point out. I am
not considering doing this,, just thought it might help. But if it ends up that
I have to.. well I will.  grin..

> -Mike Jorgensen

Thanks Mike,, your posts are appreciated muchly.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway