Dummy weights (was Re: Touchweight)

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:20:02 -0500 (CDT)

>Paul/Ron/someone,
>
>    I guess I'm just mechanically challenged but I simply cannot get a
>visual picture
>of this tool and how it works. Can someone clear it up for me? I'm curious but
>stumped. Privately, if desired. Thanks.
>
>Avery

Hi Avery,
Stack a bunch of washers on a rod of about 1/4" smaller diameter than the
holes in the washers. A very sloppy "fit". Then lay the contraption on the
back of the keys and you will notice that, maybe four of these washers will
be standing on edge, kept there by the rod and the washers on either side of
them, on the back of each key. Some of the washers will slip down between
keys (and between sections), which they can do because of the sloppy fit of
the washers on the rod. The idea is that each key will have a reasonably
uniform weight (number of washers) when you select the punchings, but you
can lift the weight off and on quickly to more easily lift the keys out to
install punchings. It's kind of like a long sand bag in function, but the
loose washers will allow for greater irregularities in key stick depth (or
whatever).

               cross section

Better?

 Ron N