hidden damage question

RptBob1@AOL.COM RptBob1@AOL.COM
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 19:06:11 EDT

Tunethepno@AOL.COM writes:

<< g if the impact of landing upside down might cause some
 damage that would show up later on. Would the strings be weakened at the
 pressure points?  Would the pinblock be loosened from the frame? Might the
 soundboard develop some type of stress damage?  Just wondering. Has anybody
 had experience wit >>
Hi John:
About fifteen years ago I was called about a Yamaha 7'5"Grand that had been
pushed (an accident?) off a stage into the pit (about a 5 foot drop)>
Because the piano was on a truck, it flipped directly onto its top.  The
pedals were not even involved in the fall.  The lid was damaged and I had to
replace the short section .  The action was a bit disheveled, but I put it
back in playing condition within 20 minutes.  I have tuned that piano 8-10
times per year since and it has suffered absolutely nothing negative from the
experience.  But then, that's a Yamaha for you.
This was, incidentally, in a Performing Arts Center of a local High School.

Bob Bergantino, RPT
Willoughby Hills,  Ohio