Lacquer, black, spraying

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 18:44:44 -0400

>Any re finishers on list,    Would appreciate a source for a good black
>spraying lacquer, for an old Hardman Peck. All the supply houses seem to
>have are the aerosol cans.

Ron,

I have had good luck with Lenmar products, although, any good quality
nitro-cellulose lacquer would probably do.

Any supplier in your area who caters to high-end wood workers should stock a
good variety,  you can also look in the Schaff and APSCO catalogs as well as
any one of a number of sites on the Internet.  Search under "woodworking",
"paints", "wood finishing".

Don't use acrylic lacquer (which is what comes in those spray cans),  it's a
lot softer than nitro, takes a little longer to dry, and does not "build" as
rapidly.  I would also strongly recommend finding a good sanding sealer that
is compatible with what ever lacquer you choose.  Build the surface with the
sealer, they you'll only need 3-6 thin coats of lacquer to get a surface
that can be buffed to a mirror-like shine.

Good Luck,

Frank Weston