Samick - Some ache!

gutlo gutlo@bestweb.net
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 19:37:13 -0400

----------
> From: Paul S. Larudee <larudee@pacbell.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Samick - Some ache!
> Date: Thursday, September 02, 1999 7:10 PM
>
> Dear List,
>
> It's a 1995 Samick-made Kohler & Campbell microgrand (SKG 400S).  I
> noticed that the pedals rattled a lot.  Opened it up to find a two-part
> clamshell housing that holds all three pedals.  No bushings to hold the
> pins in the housing, so it rattled.  No fasteners to hold the two
> housing parts together, so it rattled even more.  Nothing holding the
> whole assembly to the box, so...you get the picture.
>
> Not easy to get a response from anyone at Samick, but I persisted.
> (It's a toll call within California.)  Explained the problem and got a
> promise of a whole new assembly, including the missing parts.  Nothing.
> Hounded them at the convention and afterward.  The assembly arrived
> today (three months after the original complaint), and the same stuff is
> missing.  Back to square one.
>
> I'll bush it myself, probably with leather.  I'm assuming that four long
> screws hold the two halves of the housing together and anchor them to
> the bottom plate but does anyone know for sure?  (There are four long
> holes that go through the two halves of the housing.)  I am NOT going to
> waste my time trying to get an answer out of Samick again.
>
> Paul S. Larudee, RPT
> Richmond, CA

Surprised to hear of your negative experiemce with Samick.  Mine was the
opposite.  I had a 6'1" Samick with the peeling hammers and chipped
polyester finish.  Upon supplying the serial #, they sent me a polyester
touvch up kit and a new set of hammers, even the piano was technicially out
of warranty.  They also gave me quick tutorial on how to use the polyester.

Arthur Grudko