Hamburg Steinway

Marcel Lapointe jaguarrr@globetrotter.net
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 00:37:32 -0400

>We are in the initial process of purchasing a piano for our new recording
>studio.  Some of the faculty have mentioned a Hamburg Steinway.  Although
>I've seen a few I really know very little about them.  Probably looking for
>a Model B.  The Mason & Hamlin BB has been mentioned as well.  We have
>several of them that are around 30 years old.  What are the new ones like?
>Anybody?
>
>Dave Severance
>Washington State University
Eugenia Carter wrote:
My 2 cents is don't recommend any piano that you, or a technician you trust,
have not evaluated before purchase and believe would be a good choice. We
techs look at pianos differently than do non-techs. I urge you to try to be
a part of the selection process; but, if you are not, give the "higher-ups"
your wish-list of what the piano needs/should be and give them several brand
options. Then wish them well. :-)

I agree totally with Gina carter. You  have to try it before buying one .
First thing to do , get in contact with Hamburg, so they will tell you how
many model B they have for testing. Don't travel to Germany to test only 2
or 3 Model B. Wait that they have at least 6 or 8 of them. They ran  out of
pianos sometimes real fast, model B is a great selling piano in Europe and
Japan.(Japan buy more than 35% of yearly production of Hamburg Steinway If
I do remember well) I have seen some pianos only a couple of days old in
the testing room  and they were sold already.
It's great to have at least 6 or 8 pianos to test. You can discover so many
different personnality in such so wonderfull instruments. Each one is
unique...
If you go to Germany, you will have the chance to try the model C wich
would be my prefered choice for a  recording  studio. This model is not
build any more in New York for many decades. It is 7'5'', and the bass
notes are even more  rounder than those of the B. They only build a few of
them, so again ask to know if they have somes for trying.

Here in Quebec,in the main concert hall, we have a 4 year old Hamburg D ,
and it is a fantastic instrument. We choose it out of 12 Model D ,in
Hamburg. An experience I wish to everybody.
Marcel Lapointe rpt