Hamburg Steinway

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 06:44:23 EDT

 JIM writes:

>As someone else has said the type of recording you plan on doing should
>somewhat affect your choice of instrument.

Greetings,
     Yes,  solo recording pianos don't not need to be as bright as pianos
that must compete with drums and bass guitars, etc.
     Silence is one of the great attributes of a recording piano.  You will
want to pay particular attention to noise that keyrelease and the dampers
create.  Yea verily, a silent set of dampers in a studio is a beautiful thing!
     Two other aspects are also helpful in judging a pianos suitability.  The
first is to make sure that the plate doesn't sympathetically create an
audible "ring".  This will usually be in the low frequency range, (between
100 and 600 Hz). Thump the plate with your knuckle, and once you have the
sound in your ear, listen from C40 up to see if it comes out on any
particular note.
      Another thing to put the critical ear on is the ratio of impact noise
to string sound.  Plate sounds often form a large part of the impact sound.
Listen to the C40-52 area notes with the string damped by a cloth rag so that
you get a recognizable image of what the impact noise actually sounds like,
and then play the notes normally from there up to C64.
     You will hear the impact noise all the way up, but does it increase in
places, even though you don't get a louder note?  Sometimes the brightness of
the hammers will hide this from your ear, but it will show up on tape as a
character of the attack, and make things "muddy".
    There is a whole dictionary of the adjectives with which engineers will
describe the sound coming through the monitor; airy, thick, cottony, muddy,
tight, loose,  round, sharp, flat, edgy, toasty, and my favorite of all time
was when they finally got the piano sound just right,  and the producer
called it "salty".
  go figure (:)}}
Regards,
Ed Foote