hammer steam voicing

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 03 Sep 1999 07:51:22 -0600

Hi Mark,
              The Baldwin will respond in a very positive manner. Knowing
Steinway and the amount of dope that they use,you may have to resort to
other techniques. Including needling directly at the strike point.
Just keep increasing the amount of steam slowly to get the desired result,
and remember to dry iron as the final step. Just use common sense and you
will do just fine.
Roger

At 09:21 AM 03/09/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Roger -
>
>What kind of success have you had using this method on older, very hard
>hammers that still have plenty of felt left to work with?  I have two
>specific pianos that I service for piano teachers who have put off new
>hammers because of the expense, one an older Steinway M, and the other a
>50's Acrosonic.  Both very nice pianos with rock hard hammers - "harsh"
>doesn't quite describe it.
>
>Any experience/luck steaming these critters?
>
>Mark Potter
>bases-loaded@juno.com

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre