Werkmeister #3

Mike Keener mkeener@erinet.com
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:24:49 -0400

Richard,

The two references for the Werckmeister III temperament are:

    Klpp, G.C. Harpsichord Tuning Course Outline. Raleigh, NC: The =
Sunbury Press, 1974.

    Jorgensen, Owen. The Equal-Beating Temperaments; A Handbook for =
Tuning Harpsichords and Forte-Pianos with Tuning Techniques and Tables =
of Fifteen Historical Temperaments. Raleigh, NC: The Sunbury Press, =
1981.

Good luck finding these.  I don't know if they're still in publication, =
but with all of the current interest it would make sense for them to be =
available.

Mike
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Richard Moody <remoody@easnet.net>
    To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Date: Friday, September 03, 1999 12:18 AM
    Subject: Re: Werkmeister #3
   =20
    Thank you Mike, and welcome to the list.=20
    Re, your two references, Klop and Jorgensen, do you have the =
publisher and date?
    Klop rings a very faint bell, and is the title by Jorgensen a =
seperate book?=20
   =20
    In New Groves, the article, "Well Tempered Clavier"  some diagrams =
are given, one of
    which is Werckmeister, "Principal organ temperament (theoretical =
model, in practice,
    C G D A might be left as in 1/4-comma mean-tone temperament, =
tempered 4 cents
    instead of 6 cents)"     B--F3 is the other fifth tempered the same. =
The rest are
    pure. =20
   =20
    No big deal about the cents figures, there are two ways to figure =
it, and then the
    pattern of fifths is not known. ie  Is F taken from C or A#   Do =
they go all the way
    to A# ?   If it is Pythagorean it seems they would. The F's are =
different depending
    on which way you go.    Or perhaps they start at F and do a Py. =
cycle to A#.   The
    reason for skipping two fifths and then tempering B--F# is another =
interesting
    question. =20
   =20
    Well one way to get to the bottom of it is to read Werckmeister =
himself. Listed in
    the bibliography of the article Werckmeister is, _Orgel-Probe, oder =
Kurtz
    Beschreibung....._
    in English translation 1976, by G Krapf.   (I suppose he translated =
everything but
    the title)=20
   =20
    Another is, _Musicalisch Temperatur...._ 1691.    No translation =
given.  =20
   =20
    Here is the complete title..."Musicalische Temperatur,oder =
Deutlicher und warer
    mathematischer Unterricht, wie man durch Anweisung des Monochordi =
ein Clavier,
    sonderlich die Orgel-Wercke, Positive, Regale, Spinetten, und =
dergleichen wol
    temperirt stimmen konne"=20
   =20
    Translation anyone? Danke---ric