question time

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 10:39:38 -0500 (CDT)

At 09:37 AM 9/4/99 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 9/3/99 9:33:35 PM !!!First Boot!!!, lawsonic@global.co.za
>writes:
>
><< 1) Is there an easy way to level tuning pins after a restring/re-pin other
> than line of sight? >>
>
>Place a small block of wood on the tuning pins, and it will highlight the
>highest tuning pin. Keep tapping the highest one down until all the pins are
>even. You won't be able to determine the low ones. You'll have to do those by
>eye.
>
>Wim

So why not use about a 3"X 5"X 1" steel plate instead? Lay it on the tops of
the pins and hit it with your hammer. When enough pins are the same height,
you won't be able to drive the block any lower. I can pretty much guarantee
that you won't be able to drive twenty pins at once with a four pound
hammer. You'll get tired before any damage is done. You can do this after
the strings are on, and the coils are tight, and won't risk marking the
plate with any kind of punch depth indicator.

 Ron N