Liability advice

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 00:25:24 -0500

> ...Since I did not give her fair warning as to what  could happen,  she
>feels that I am liable for the damage to her piano`s  ribs. Her thinking
>is  that it worked fine before I tuned it and now it is  broke. So what do
>you all think?...Thanks, Al Williams.

Dear Al,

Here's what I think.

Customarily, 'fair warning' is definitely in order for any piano that has
been neglected that long, and especially one that you have no previous
knowledge concerning it condition.  Som regardless of the condition of the
piano before you arrived, the ball has the appearance of falling into your
court due to the omission of that one verbal oversight.  And indicating
that you have been an RPT for 19 years does little to strengthen what
should be customary procedure by now.

Why not secure the ribs back to the soundboard to eliminate the buzzing,
admit to the customer of your failure to mention firsthand that anything
could happen, an error on your part at the most, and express sincere
appreciation for them having the courage to contact you, thereby allowing
you the opportunity to make things right.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild