question time

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 11:09:22 EDT

In a message dated 9/4/99 3:50:37 PM !!!First Boot!!!, nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
writes:

<< Place a small block of wood on the tuning pins, and it will highlight the
 >highest tuning pin. Keep tapping the highest one down until all the pins
are
 >even. You won't be able to determine the low ones. You'll have to do those
by
 >eye.
 >
 >Wim

 So why not use about a 3"X 5"X 1" steel plate instead? Lay it on the tops of
 the pins and hit it with your hammer. When enough pins are the same height,
 you won't be able to drive the block any lower. I can pretty much guarantee
 that you won't be able to drive twenty pins at once with a four pound
 hammer. You'll get tired before any damage is done. You can do this after
 the strings are on, and the coils are tight, and won't risk marking the
 plate with any kind of punch depth indicator.

  Ron N

A 3x5x1 inch steel weighs a lot, and would be unwieldy. I don't use the block
of wood to pound down the pins. The block of wood only tells me what pins are
higher. When I pound down the pins, the pin block support is still in place.

The suggestion of using a guide on  the tuning pin punch is very good. I do
that too. I tape a hammer shank to the side of my tuning pin punch. But even
that sometimes doesn't give you perfectly level pins.

BTW, I am sure everyone knows this, but when you do use that guide make sure
you set it so that it allows the pin to be turned once around. Otherwise
you'll wind up with the coil on the plate.

Wim