Liability advice

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 05 Sep 1999 11:21:30 -0400

Al,
I have been tuning pianos for over 25 years and the only precaution
I offer to a pitch raise is breaking strings and tuning instability.

Structural damage such as this is a result of poor quality manufacturing,
This is why the company is no longer in business. In my early years in the
biz, I worked for a dealer who sold these wretched piano shaped objects.
I would classify them as 'throw away pianos'.

If they are looking for compensation, they should look to the seller for a
rebate because chances are that they did not store this item in a 'safe'
area or bought the cheapest thing they could find not regarding quality.

Had they had the piano appraised/inspected before purchasing they would
not be in this predicament.  You are not to blame for a series of bad
decisions made previously.

Another thought just crossed my mind and this is all too often the case:
A piano is donated to the church for a tax write-off. Usually, the theoretical
market value is higher than actual worth so on paper everyone is happy.
Many times the church finds out the piano was not worth the cost of the move
and does not have the resources to effect repairs, they get stuck.  So the
decision to purchase on price alone may not have been the church's.

I had one irate customer call the day after a tuning, a sticking key;
my fault - right ?  She was even more livid when I had the gall to charge
for a service call when I found a piece of cat litter stuck between the keys.
It seems kitty likes to sleep on the little pillow on the bass bridge of the
S&S M.

So you customer has to accept their dilemma and maybe read the book:
When Bad Things Happen To Good People".

Jon Page

PS  Can you say: trebuchet ?

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net