New Werkmeister III Direct Interval Program

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 00:38:00 EDT

Dear List,

Because today was a holiday, I got an itch to tune that Werkmeister III
temperament which has been discussed lately on my own piano which is a new
scale Walter Console with Pianodisc system.  It is not a temperament I tune
often and have previously only done it by ear, the last time, many years ago.
 Since I could see that a Direct Interval approach would work, it will work
with any Meantone or Equal Beating Well-Tempered tuning, I decided to make a
new Werkmeister III program for my own piano.

My basic idea worked but the post I sent recently should be disregarded.  I
made an error in the procedure and said that the G3-B3 3rd should be pure and
this was not correct.  However, tuning the series of 4ths & 5ths starting on
A3 0.0, D4 3.0, G3 6.0, C4 9.0 (all values read on Octave 5) works perfectly
on a High Inharmonicity scale such as this Walter or a Steinway, not to
mention Kimball, Wurlitzer, Baldwin Acrosonic and Kohler & Campbell.

You tune your fist pure 5th E4 from A3 by Direct Interval.  Then you do your
series of 3 tempered intervals.  Once at C4 you tune your series of 6
remaining pure 5ths by Direct Interval starting by going down to F3 (then up
to the octave F4), up a 4th to A# (Bb)3, Up another 4th to D#(Eb)4, down a
5th to G#9(Ab)3, up a 4th to C#(Db)4, then down a 5th to F#3.  Now you tune
you last tempered interval, up a 4th to B3 by finding the value for B3 as a
perfect 4th from F#3 then adding 3.0 cents to that value.

I tuned out my octaves as I usually do, a way that I believe to be the
easiest to determine, the most natural and best sounding for general
purposes.  The octave is always made to be an Equal-Beating compromise with
the 5th.  Once two octaves have been tuned, the double octave is always made
to be an Equal-Beating compromise with the octave and 5th.  This is carried
all the way to the top and bottom.

I had guests over later and we played the piano both ourselves and with the
Pianodisc system.  While I have known some technicians who regularly use the
Werkmeister and even one who tuned it on a Yamaha Disklavier, I know that
there are some people who do not like it or at least consider it too limited
to ever use except by specific request.

My guests all thought it sounded just fine and even when I pointed out what
was supposed to be considered out of tune, most of them could not even tell
at all and one could say that he recognized something that sounded very
slightly out of tune to his ear but that it was something very slight, that
wouldn't bother him.

That interval was the 5 cent narrow C3-G3 5th, which has an obvious beat.  I
showed him how the Equal-Beating feature has the ability to cancel out that
objectionable sound.  Sure enough, when a full chord was played, you couldn't
hear that sound at all.  I told him that I was able to take advantage of the
same phenomenon in the Equal Beating Victorian Temperament.  All of the
Well-Tempered Tunings have some of this effect.

None of my guests ever heard anything that they considered to be the
slightest bit out of tune.  However, as the disc played different kinds of
music, I did hear things that I knew some people would not like.  In short,
the Werkmeister III sounded even better than I thought it would but I still
would not choose it as an all-purpose temperament.  I would want to know that
it would enhance specifically the music to be played.

If anyone is interested in the detailed procedure and/or the 88 note program,
I can write it up.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin