Plate Screws !!

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 06 Sep 1999 22:41:49 -0600

Hi Jim,
           A curiosity point, our instrument has a solid piece of material
for the top six notes,it sank like a stone in water ,when I was cleaning
off the old glue. I was never able to identify what it was.
Could you take a look at your specimen, and see if you have a vertical glue
joint in the bridge at the top six notes point? If it is the same, maybe
you will have more luck at identifying the species than I did.

Regards Roger

At 11:44 PM 06/09/99 -0400, you wrote:

>In a message dated 9/06/1999 2:33:26 PM, baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca writes:
>
><< The Steinway I that I'm working on has a
>very solid cut off bar in the lower treble end, plus the cut off section is
>filled with 2" thick hardwood. The whole back assembly is the most solid
>that I've seen on a vertical. Laminated oak vertical beams (3ply). >>
>
>Roger;
>Yep, this one also. After your post, out of curiosity, I measured for square
>inches of active board and cut off sections..............
>Total area of possible space usable for the  board is 2,413 Sq Inches. Of
>this possible total there is 310.75 sq inches taken away by the cutoffs
>leaving a total active area for the board of 2,102.25 sq inches.....so
almost
>13% of the total possible area for board use is taken up by non-speaking

Roger Jolly
BaldwinYamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada.