Agraffe Repair Technique

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 12:53:19 -0700

David ilvedson wrote:

> Tom,
>
> The fishtail ground screwdriver nearly always works if you grab
> on with a small vice-grip and tap while you are applying
> pressure counter-clockwise.
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT

I use the T-shaped combination handle available from the supply houses
rather than a vice-grip.  It gives me the leverage I need, and I can tap
it and put weight on it as well.  I use a similar technique for removing
unbroken agraffes, substituting an agraffe bit for a screwdriver, and
tapping occasionally with a hammer to loosen the threads.  (Seems to
avoid broken agraffes.)  It also gives just the right leverage while
spacing keys with the key-spacer bit, rather than having to use brute
force to grip a straight handle.  I sometimes like it with the backcheck
tool as well, to rotate backchecks with greater ease and accuracy.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA