Damper height gauges

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 17:04:18 -0400

Thanks for the (only) response, Newt. Thinking that it would be a slow
weekend on the list, I posted the question. The post was immediately
pre-emptied by "Liability advice". These things happen.

I was following along your reply real good until the following...

>The one thing I was forced to learn is to install one damper at a time
>and make that one damper work perfectly before going on to the next.
>Some prefer to drop all the dampers in at once then try to make them
>work.  My experience is that one at a time works because one is
>disinclined to leave something undone before going on to the next.
>One is inclined to overlook imperfections if one is daunted by a full
>set to trouble shoot and fix.

You were forced to learn, as in someone beating you with a bat? I'm afraid
I'm guilty. IOW, I drop all the heads in the blocks, do samples, -then-
work with one damper at a time. To not overlook imperfections, I explore
every angle, including using a mirror from below and behind.

I'm happy with the results. The dampers rise evenly from both key and
pedal, don't tilt or rotate, work with the sostenuto as applicable, and all
shut off.

I must be missing something. What? Otherwise, perhaps from experiencing so
much vandalism in the school system, I've become comfortable with the work.
Come to think of it, I rather enjoy damper work! I'll take my medication now.

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net