Agraffe repair technique

Robert A. Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 14:01:13 -0700

Tom Cole is on the right track. For a number of years, approx. mid to
late '20s(Isaac Sadigursky has pinpointed the range, but I don't
remember the exact years), S&S agraffes were not threaded to the top of
the stem. In the process of turning in the agraffes, when the end of the
threads was reached, the agraffe was not seated yet. Forcing it (and
cutting some new thread perhaps) weakened it at the top of the stem.
Take a look at the agraffe stem the next time you encounter this problem
on one of these old S&S grands. You will see what I mean. In my
experience this is the ONLY agraffe replacement I have ever had to make.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ