Agraffe Repair Technique

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 15:15:23 -0700

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> Tom;
>  For whatever reason the failure rate on some S&S instruments is more than on
> others..............I am of the opinion it has more to do with the original
> setting of the agraffes than the agraffe itself.

Jim,

I could see overtorquing at the factory as a cause. But why Steinway,
during a time considered to be the zenith of their history, and not a
lesser brand?

Another explanation I've heard is that a batch of agraffes were
improperly made, that the threads didn't go up quite far enough and the
belly person would inadvertantly damage the shank trying to seat the
agraffe.

Anyone with a clue?

Tom
--