Apollo grand

JWyatt1492@AOL.COM JWyatt1492@AOL.COM
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 19:24:23 EDT

Hello Les!

          Melville Clark built the "Apollo Piano".  This was a very good
piano well built of good materials.  The Apollo was equipped with the
"Seaverns Action".  This action was not a shifting action instead for
 a soft pedal  it lifted the hammer rail. It was equipped with a lost
motion eliminator so when the "soft pedal" was depressed there was
no change in the key touch.
       In l914  Clark entered  into an agreement with Wurlitzer for them
to distribute the Apollo piano in some areas of the country.
About 1920  Wurlitzer bought the Co.  Soon after this Wurlitzer began
putting the Apollo name plate on the regular production Wurlitzer pianos.
      The most popular real Apollo Piano was a 5ft. 1in. model,
scale M-C-3.  This model had 26 bass keys with 13 single and
13 two  string unisons. The "real Apollo"   and  the  "Wurlitzer
Apollo"  are two very very different pianos.  From your description
your Apollo is a (Wurlitzer).  Many" Wurlitzer Apollo" pianos has 12
single strings and 17 two strings unisons in the bass and many
of them used the "Schwander" action.
    To all technicians please allow me to suggest that if  you do
not know all the facts about a given Piano you may very well be
doing a disservice to your fellow technicians by insinuateing you
do.  It apears to me that there are two many people who refer to
to many  pianos as PSOs.  This may make us feel good at the
moment but in the long run it  will only cause harm.

To bash or not to bash ?      Each of us must answer this question.

Hope this helps.        PS. please shoot straight,  I can't stand pain.
Jack Wyatt