Horner Stringed Instrument???

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 22:19:35 -0500

The  Piano supply houses sell small wire or at least APSCO does. (0000 thourgh 11)
Measure the string next to it. The clavinette (sp?) makes its sound from a tangent
sticking down directly from the key and striking a string.  This pushes the string
against a striking surface a few milimeters away.  The speaking length is formed
between the "tangent" and "bridge".  There are electric pickups.
About five octaves.  The tuning is done by screws that are behind the "key slip".
The tuning drifts in and out depending on how the notes are played. For example
three out of five times a fifth will sound OK.  The tips of the tangents get groves
in them that affect the tone and tuning but on a sporatic basis depending on the
blow and looseness of the keys.  I never saw nor heard of strings breaking. They
seemed very thin and at low tension. A shop that services in Fender Rhodes and
Wrurlitizer electric pianos, probably can get parts or direct you to a source.  It
was used mainly by rock groups. Stevie Wonder ("Superstition") and Quincy Jones
"Streets of San Francisco Theme" is the characteristic sound.  ---ric .