Liability advice- Missing the Point

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 23:43:52 EDT

In a message dated 9/7/99 8:06:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time, you write:

<< People have a right to expect a certain degree of professionalism from
technicians,
 and in turn I think technicians have a right to expect a certain degree of
 seriousness from their customers. Customers who are interested in getting a
super
 piano for 49.95 can look elsewhere. Just not my bag.

 Richard Brekne >>

More *à propos* words have never been written.  Great responses, Richard.  At
long last, I would have to say that the object of this discussion is a
notoriously poorly made excuse for a piano.  It does not compare with
Kimballs, Wurlitzers, Acrosonics, Cable-Nelsons, even those dear little Betsy
Ross spinets with the nice, broken plastic elbows that we can all earn nice,
good pay for replacing and making people happy with the piano they have,
know, are used to, still want and generally cherish.  Not even Gordon
Laughheads and Kohler & Campbells are as bad as this.  I'd even rather have a
Cable, than one of these.

The condition described is fairly common in these instruments and these
alone.  This product, (it does not qualify as being a real musical
instrument), was not meant to last more than 15-20 years.  It is already
beyond its time.  Most of the pianos in the above list are still functioning.
 There you have it and that is the difference.  There were indeed poorly made
American pianos but almost none of them are around anymore to even be a
problem.

The ones which are alive and well today deserve the respect and the
professional skills of qualified craftsmen.  It is a very good way to make
good pay and have many very satisfied customers, just to perform the most
basic of a piano technician's skills routinely, day after day.

But this particular piano, which should have been simply discarded, does not
deserve to be repaired.  I'd even go so far as to say that I have finally, on
this List, come to the example of a piano that I would say truly deserved the
acronym, "PSO".

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin