Agraffe Repair Technique

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 23:12:15 -0700

Paul S. Larudee wrote:

> I use the T-shaped combination handle available from the supply houses
> rather than a vice-grip.  It gives me the leverage I need, and I can tap
> it and put weight on it as well.  I use a similar technique for removing
> unbroken agraffes, substituting an agraffe bit for a screwdriver, and
> tapping occasionally with a hammer to loosen the threads.  (Seems to
> avoid broken agraffes.)  It also gives just the right leverage while
> spacing keys with the key-spacer bit, rather than having to use brute
> force to grip a straight handle.  I sometimes like it with the backcheck
> tool as well, to rotate backchecks with greater ease and accuracy.

Thanks for these ideas, Paul. I have that T-handle, still nice and new
looking, which I keep in the shop for the agraffe tool. Never thought to
put it to use on any of the other combination bits in my tool kit. It
will replace the crescent wrench I've been using to apply the brute
force on the key spacer bit. And a T-handle would have been a much more
elegant torquer for my impromtu agraffe stud remover, instead of the
vicegrips which left their ugly marks.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT