Damper height gauges

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed, 08 Sep 1999 07:26:37 -0400

Jim and Newton,
       A disagreement among the greats?   Jim Harvey, you must have tremendous
patience and control over temptation!   I can only bear to install dampers and
regulate each as one step, one damper finished at a time.  I can do about three
before I must walk around, get a drink, and/or comb my hair.
     My own reasons for regulating dampers while installing them are; The
dampers do not sit on the strings for any length of time unregulated where they
could seat themselves wrongly.  Having no damper on one side allows one better
view of the damper being regulated.   Other reasons are purely emotional.  I can
look at the job and say I'm half finished.   (It is encouraging to see half the
piano perfectly regulated instead of the daunting and depressing site of an
entire set of dampers needing work.)   Having half of the dampers installed and
fully regulated eliminates a temptation to quit when "good enough" is achieved.
Mixed work, i.e. bending installing etc., is less fatiguing than doing the same
thing for hours.  Of course, I tune pianos "unison at a time" also.
Just an opinion.
-Mike Jorgensen