liability advice

Brian L Jane brianjaney@juno.com
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 05:20:22 -0700

Doug [and list] -

If the instrument is more than 40 years old and has not been restrung,
reconditioned or rebuilt - I am generally looking for reasons, as I am
inspecting the piano prior to tuning, to not work on it. I have been
presiding over more than a few  "piano funerals" where I will basically
tell the prospective client that I, in good conscious, could not charge
them a dime to work on the piano, because it is just not worth it. The
cause of death in my neck of the woods is usually a bass or treble bridge
that is splitting up.

I don't charge for this service... I consider it a part of my "duty" to
the musical world to rid the planet of the infamous "PSO." I tell them
that the few hundred dollars that they may pay me to blow the dust out,
replace the broken hammers, mouse eaten bridle straps, and tune it 100
cents flat, is not going to be a wise investment.

Brian
Allegro Piano Service
Fallbrook, CA