Damper height gauges

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:27:25 -0500 (CDT)

> I'm afraid
>I'm guilty. IOW, I drop all the heads in the blocks, do samples, -then-
>work with one damper at a time. To not overlook imperfections, I explore
>every angle, including using a mirror from below and behind.
>
>I'm happy with the results. The dampers rise evenly from both key and
>pedal, don't tilt or rotate, work with the sostenuto as applicable, and all
>shut off.

* Hi Jim, I throw them all in at once too, set the lift with the, if
necessary, leveled/straightened/replaced, damper tray, and refine the whole
set at once with a series of rough-in's until it's "good enough". Trying to
do one at a time would drive me (farther) over the edge in no time. Also
(onbox), "good enough" has taken on an unnecessarily negative connotation.
No matter how high our individual standards of damper function are, we all
quit dinking with them when they're "good enough" to meet our standards,
since "perfect" or even "right" aren't realistically definable (offbox).

>I must be missing something. What? Otherwise, perhaps from experiencing so
>much vandalism in the school system, I've become comfortable with the work.
>Come to think of it, I rather enjoy damper work! I'll take my medication now.
>
>Jim Harvey, RPT

* Do you make shop calls? Can you come over before the medication kicks in?
What are your rates? (here's your chance to use that "fee" line)

 Ron N