Damper height gauges

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:54:17 -0400

Dear Jim and Mike,

>        A disagreement among the greats?

I _never_ disagree with Jim Harvey.  He knows too much more than I do.

>  someone beating you with a bat?

Jim, tHe guy standing behind me was twice my size so I did what I was
told.  Besides, I was there to learn, not teach (although I did show
them a trick or two).  By the end of the job I understood why.

Mike, Jim has had factory experience where speed is paramount.  My
factory experience was Teutonic, anal retentive and "WE do it this
way".

Mike, if you are having so much trouble and tension then I submit you
should change your approach to the job.  After hurting my back I now
rest my chest on the stretcher, so I can get my face close to the
dampers.

Most factory installers drop all the dampers in at once and sit on a
very short stool so they can look directly at the damper action and up
through the strings and do all their fine adjustments from there.
Works for them and they have to install the damper action; install,
mark, remove, drill, bush and reinstall the guide rail; install damper
wires and felts on heads then drop them in.  All this in something
like 1/3 of a day.  Now that is FAST.

> I'm happy with the results.

Well, I cannot say any more to that.  End of discussion.  End of
thread.

Take care you two.

		Newton