piano tilter

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Thu, 09 Sep 1999 11:36:52 -0700

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I bought Schaff's shop repair truck model 1901 (tilter) about five
> months ago.  Is this the same equipment being currently discussed in the
> APSCO thread?
>
> I've used it on three pianos so far, none larger than a studio.  I like
> it.  I have not noticed that any of the pianos attempted to "scoot," and
> I've used no clamps or straps.  Is this a better designed tilter, or is
> there a problem quietly watching and waiting until I am the least
> suspecting?  Or will the problem rear its head when I use it on a heavy
> old upright?
>
> Clyde Hollinger

Clyde,

No, I've got both the Schaff and the APSCO tilters, and they are not the
same.  Schaff's is sturdier but APSCO's is much more portable (and
sturdy enough, as far as I can tell, but see the other posts, especially
Susan Kline's and Ed Guerra's).  There's always a potential problem when
the piano's rear casters meet the floor when bringing the piano back to
vertical.  I usually walk around to the front at that point and brace it
at the bottom while pulling it forward.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA