Cut-downs (was August journal, etc.)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Thu, 09 Sep 1999 16:23:00 -0400

Susan, I too just received my September issue. I'm happy you have your
photo on the cover, but you don't look at all the way I remember! 8-}

Now that you've homed in on a time frame, I think the -why- of cut-downs
becomes more apparent. Statistics will indicate that spinet pianos hit
their stride in the post WWII period. Folks wanted something new,
different, better(?), or something trendy. It didn't (and doesn't) matter
whether it's cars, appliances or pianos. This is the same mind set that
feeds other trends: hardwood floors to area rugs to carpet to throw rugs --
then back to hardwood floors; avocado stoves and refrigerators, and... the
list is endless.

Even today, the looks of a piano are an important criterion to many people,
but as late as the 70's, I still heard both sales people and clients cite
the virtues of a Klutz mirror spinet (or one-off equiv.) and favorably
compare them to the looks of those "cute little spinets" versus those "big
old ugly uprights". Even Art Reblitz' book has a chapter on cut-downs, if I
recall correctly.

While your Spector retro is more involved (and new to me), modifying the
case for a mirror often required some head-scratching as well. Then there
was the person who cut a hole in their living room floor, modified the
pedals, etc. That must have been pretty costly as well. (Never did figure
out how they dealt with keybed height, unless they were really short people).

Although many piano owners are more educated now(?), new trends continue,
and some older ones die hard. Power steering, brakes and air conditioning
in cars "took" and stayed around. Edsels, cars with wings, and cars that
were also boats didn't make the trip. Stereo stuck over hi-fi, but quad
sound didn't catch.

As to costs, I submit that everything is relative, well, -except- for the
earnings of piano tuners. Many tuner's incomes don't even keep up with
inflation, never mind being too low initially -- whether post-war or today.
So, to put things in time/cost perspective on both sides, I expect that
whoever modified the piano you unearthed was happy to generate the extra
revenue. Likewise, the client was probably happy because they didn't have
to come up with the dollars required to buy a new... spinet.

JMO.

At 08:36 AM 9/9/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Steve Ganz tells me that someone in Portland was doing this just after
>WWII, and he learned from someone else, who may have been the one to
>cut down the one I saw, from the 30's.
>
>What no one says is WHY anyone would WANT to do this! Surely it must
>have cost a bundle, too!
>
>Susan

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.