Book info (was Re: Cut-downs)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:01:18 -0400

In my last post, I mentioned that possibly the Reblitz book has a section
on modifying (cutting down) pianos.  I wasn't sure then or now. However, if
not Reblitz, there's a good chance it's:

"Complete Course In Professional Piano Tuning, Repair and Rebuilding"
 by Dr. Floyd A. Stevens, PhD.

While I can't access either book at the moment, I invariably pick up the
wrong book -- regardless of which I'm trying to retrieve -- same size, etc.

While on the subject, a book that I used to read about once a year was:

 "Professional Piano Tuning" by W. Dean Howell [APSCO #572530].

While this book didn't have anything about cut-down pianos, it has some
good information presented in an equally easy-to-read style. Every book
either generates or recommends a particular tuning method. This one is no
exception, and the temperament covered is the [William] Stonaker 'Both Ways
>From the Middle'.

I enjoyed the book because:
(a) that temperament made a light click on for me;
(b) Dean initially appeared to be a tool and gadget freak like someone else
I know; this suspicion was later confirmed by his attendance in my tool
classes;

[Note: If not a physical law, it certainly must be a genetic requirement to
have a deep love and appreciation of tools to be a tuner. I'm sure some
folks even hide their quest for tools under the 'umbrella' of tuning and
repair... although I don't know anyone like this].

(c) Howell's treatment of a 'typical' day in the life of a piano tuner
reminds me of what it is, or should be like to be in this profession.

I loaned my copy to a student, and it never came back. I'm adding it to my