Cut-down uprights

John Dewey jdent@soltec.net
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:56:23 -0500

Attached is a picture of a Howard that my mother had cut down about 1949
when I started piano lessons at the age of 8. I think the fact that I was a
very active boy who hated to practice had more to do with my not becoming a
musician than the fact that the piano was cut down. In this case about 1
inch of the plate above the tunning pins was removed. The speaking length of
the strings and the bridge placement was not changed. The piano still sounds
good but like a lot of technicians pianos it needs regulating and tunning.
As you can see from the picture the bench was also restyled to match the
piano. The piano was changed because my mother thought it would look much
better restyled and refinished than that big, old, ugly, black upright
thing.

John Dewey
associate member PTG

-----Original Message-----
From: Carman Gentile <cgpiano@webtv.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Thursday, September 09, 1999 11:55 PM
Subject: Cut-down uprights

  I am also interested in learning more about the post-war practice of
"modernizing" old uprights.

Please tell me the titles of the book(s) that discuss it.   I thank you
in advance.

(Still looking to split the room cost for the California State Board
meeting on Sept. 26.)

Carman Gentile RPT
Redwood Chapter

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...