Go bars

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:15:17 -0500

Hey Roger, et el,
I think I suggested the PVC a few weeks back.  I moved into a new shop with
much higher ceilings and couldn't find wood that was acceptable, much less
affordable.  I spent very little for about 10 pipes.  You can cut them and
adjust tension.  The idea of shims to control pressure is good.  I was
surprised how much possible pressure you could apply.  I was afraid to push
the soundboard through the floor!  (you must shim from underneath between
the ribs and braces!).  The only problem I had was controlling which way
they "leaned".  If I put several right next to each other in close
proximity, they sometimes tended to swivel around and run into each other.
With wood slats you could put them right next to each other and always have
clearance.

Just curious... Why did you make the dowel length 3" on the base plates?
Wouldn't even 1/2" work OK?  (just enough to keep the pipe from sliding)

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Roger Jolly
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 1999 7:09 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Go bars

List,
      Thank's to who ever suggested PVC pipe for go bars. I have just made
up 2 dozen, out of 3/4" 480lbs pressure pipe. 5' long. The bass is made of
3/4' X 3" square fir with a  1/2" dowel 3" long fixed to the centre of the
base plate, I also made up a variety of  3" X 3" shims (1/2" thick)with a
1/2" clearence hole in the centre to adjust for varying heights and
tensions. Very simple and works slick.
Thank's again .
Roger
Roger Jolly