Go bars

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:25:33 -0500

List,

I also wanted to add that once you get the "idea" of go-bars in your
repertoire, you may find yourself using this basic concept in other repairs.
I have on occasion used small pieces of wood, plastic, credit cards,etc., to
use like a go-bar to hold something in place when a C-clamp or spring clamp
would not fit, or work best.  I have used the idea on veneer, soundboard
edges in an upright, misc action parts, etc where either the clamp throat
was not deep enough, or something else prevented me from using conventional
clamping/screwing.  When you're in a bind, go-bars come to mind.

If the ceiling or whatever is above the part to be clamped is not the right
height, you can clamp a 2x4(s) above/across the piano or workbench with pipe
clamps to make a surface that can be clamped against. So, insert the idea
and it will come to mind later when nothing else will work.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Roger Jolly
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 1999 10:30 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Go bars

Hi Bob,
           One area of our shop has a 7 1/2ft ceiling, bend the bars like a
bow and it makes glueing bridges and caps easy. Since the ceiling is fixed
the dowel in the foot along with the shims enable us to adjust for
different heights in pianos and bridges.  Using them about 4 to 5" apart
gives a lot of clamping pressure.
Regards Roger

At 07:06 PM 09/09/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Sorry for this obvious (?) question:  What in the blazes is a "go Bar".
Now
>I know what a go-go dancer is, and I know what "going for broke" is, but
what
>is a go bar?
>
>Bob Bergantino, RPT, the uninformed
>Willoughby Hills, Ohio