Public School Systems

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 11:46:31 +0200

Avery... I have had pretty extensive experience with working with school districts.
Its always difficult to get them to use enough money. They have several motivation
factors that push them in the opposite direction they really need  to go.

In spite of that, the facts are that if school pianos are to "survive" and at the
same time be able to preform at a minimum level of acceptability, they require at
least 2 tunings during the school year, and they require at the outset a program to
"upgrade" their basic condition, followed by a continuing program to maintain them
at some basic acceptable condition. On top of that comes any expenses for
unexpected repairs (due to misuse, vandalism, etc), and any new purchases.

If this is to be done it is quite clear that 12 grand is not even half the budjet
they need. This needs to be made clear to them if they are to make an informed
decision. <grin>... they need to "know" that if they choose the "beat up
Volkswagen" solution, that thats what they are going to get.

On the other hand, school districts that first get started on a fairly complete
maintance program quickly begin to realize the benifits, both short term and long
term. They stop hearing so many complaints, screamings for new pianos, and start
hearing lots of good things. They also get used to the budget post after a couple
years. In as much as they have to buy fewer new pianos the real expense over time
is also noticed.

In my opinion, 250 pianos on a fairly complete maintainance program is a years work
for one piano tuner. The best results I have seen is when the school district hires
a tech on salary for the job, and supplies the tech with a workshop and the
neccessary supplies as part of a total budjet post.

Believe me,, this is not as unrealistic as it may sound to some, tho it is
difficult to get established. However once the ball gets started, its suprising how
many other school districts decide this is a good idea. Lots of potential here for
the tech industry, and for our chances to contribute positively in general to music
education .

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F
Bergen, Noway