Dampiing Problems

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 14:50:44 -0400

Larry, I don't remember the notes and harmonic after-ring frequencies
involved; however, the last time I experienced what you describe on a M&H,
it was due to a couple loose components in the tension resonator (spyder).
Yeah yeah, I know, tension resonator components do not loosen up. To
continue...

It took a while to figure out because the resulting illusions were
"top-side" sounds. It turns out that the sounds were being generated from
below, and telegraphed above. A couple of the turn-buckle [type] assemblies
were lose, causing their washers -- in fact that entire effected arm -- to
hum like a ten penny finishing nail hit with a greasy ball peen hammer.

Regards,
Jim Harvey RPT
[with special thanks to Brother Dave Gardner; been waiting to use that ball
peen hammer line].

At 04:50 PM 9/10/99 -0700, you wrote:
>On a fairly new M&H BB.
>
>Both G-1 and A-1 have an objectionable after ring at harmonic C#-5.  I've
>cut ends of the damper felts, replaced the felt.  Cut inside legs of
>damper felt, cut outside legs of damper felts.  Nothing seems to quiet
>this harmonic.  Could it possibly be the strings and their longitudinal
>vibrations?
[etc... cut]