latest journal

Wallace Wilson wilson53@MARSHALL.EDU
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 05:50:22 -0400

It is with some really mixed feelings that I read and digested Yamaha's
ad on the back page of this months's journal.  In this ad, Yamaha
America completely divorces itself from the grey market Yamaha pianos.
	I think I understand and appreciate the dilemma Yamaha is in regarding
these grey market pianos.  Yet I have some real regrets regarding their
stated position of completely divorcing themselves from this segment.
	1. Have they thought about the marketing impact on the general public?
I'd say this would be a real deterrent to the average person.
	2. Speaking of the average person, has Yamaha informated the
unsuspecting public?  Made *any* effort to educate the buying public?
	3. What would it really cost to provide parts backup from Japan? Surely
they've heard of piano parts being listed on computers!  What would it
really cost?  And could that cost not be passed on to those who find
themselves stuck with one of these pianos, people who now need service?
To me, it sounds like Steinway refusing to supply parts for pianos made
in Hamburg, or a car mfg refusing support to a car made overseas rather
than in the USA factory.
	I understand it's inconvenient, challenging, aggravating to them to be
asked to provide parts & info re grey market Yamahas. I've not
encountered them, though I've dealt with some interesting Chinese pianos
which never should have left home.  In spite of that,
	I wish the ad on the back page would tell folks how to avoid these
pianos, and that Yamaha could do a better job of educating the public.
I realize that to do so would open a pandora'a box.  Yet, a pandora's
box is exactly what Yamaha's got.  I would think a class act like Yamaha
could do something better than leave people SOL because they lacked
information in buying.
	Undoubtedly many of you will have other information to contribute,
along with business insights, etc.  Maybe these pianos self-destruct so
badly over here that no amount of fix is worth the bother.  In that
case, what steps could Yamaha take to protect the public and their own
great image?

---Wally Wilson, RPT