Buzzy B

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:18:49 -0500

Dear list:
My customer's 7 year old Steinway B has had a phantom buzz (which usually
appears briefly in spring and autumn) which I have finally ear-witnessed.
While the notes which produce the buzz are on either side of the
tenor-treble break, the buzz is coming from the stretcher or in S&S
terminology, the "case comice". Actually, I hope it is coming from the
strip screwed onto the inner lip of the stretcher (just above where the
plate felt should be). Squeezing the strip against the stretcher kills the
buzz, but it may be the stretcher-to-case joint which is causing the noise.
Any experience with this out there? Quick easy & perfect fixes?

Patrick