Buzzy B

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:33:02 EDT

Patrick writes:
>Actually, I hope it is coming from the
>strip screwed onto the inner lip of the stretcher (just above where the
>plate felt should be). Squeezing the strip against the stretcher kills
>the
>buzz, but it may be the stretcher-to-case joint which is causing the noise.
>Any experience with this out there? Quick easy & perfect fixes?

  I got one word for my approach:  isolation!
  Don't wonder about that gap-covering strip.  Take it off and see if the
buzz is there.  If not, leave it off and continue investigating. ( no foriegn
object laying twixt plate and stretcher?  I found a circular file there once,
on a new piano!)  If this B has the hinges on the fall board front,  they
will need to be muted.  Keep taking the easily removable things off.
   Sometimes a sympathetically excited part of the trapwork will throw its
voice to the hinterlands, creating comical excursions around the instrument
before finding the hidden culprit.
Good luck, there are 342 different things it could be!
Regards,
Ed