Piano bench height

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:44:57 -0500 (CDT)

>Friends,
>
>How does one decide the proper height of the piano bench?  At my own
>ordinary piano there is about 5" between the bench top and the bottom
>front edge of the piano, but I've found between 2" and 8" on pianos I
>service.
>
>Since piano teachers rarely see the pianos their students practice on, I
>guess it's up to us to keep an eye out for things of this nature.
>
>Clyde Hollinger, RPT
>Lititz, PA

Hi Clyde,
Judging from the availability of adjustable benches, varying keyboard
heights, and lack of standardization on lyre placement, I'd say that one
decides on proper bench height by the process of selective glandular
reaction. What I want to know is, how many people never make their peace
with the piano because they are so uncomfortable with the bench height they
are stuck with by default, and never realize what the source of their
physical discomfort is? I think you've raised a good question here.
Ergonomics has already entered the piano performance venue in the form of
the 7/8 keyboard, so why hasn't anyone quantified bench height in relation
to piano and pianist dimensions?

It will probably turn out to be just another conspiracy, only intended to
sell adjustable benches, rather than to take control of the free world.

 Ron N