latest journal/ my 2 cents

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:43:17 -0700

J Patrick Draine wrote:

> As someone who has serviced gray market pianos which were sold to be used
> in performance venues (and were woefully inadequate), I applaud this "first
> salvo" against these worn out pianos sold to an unsuspecting public.

Patrick et alii,

I have another perspective on used Yamaha pianos from Japan. Your
experience may be based on pianos that came, sight unseen, out of a
container and, understandably, would be of dubious quality.

However, there is some wheat amongst all the chaff. I have serviced many
gray-market Yamahas that were sold locally by a dealer who orders
individual, mostly A-graded instruments from an importer. The only
B-ratings were due to some minor finish damage. So far, these pianos
have compared very favorably to US-bought pianos with one notable
exception: the finish on a couple of the grand soundboards had a very
rough surface of unknown cause. Otherwise, quality in general has been
above what I've seen in the average stateside-bought Yamahas of the same
age. The ones that I've been tuning for years show no sign of
deterioration out of the ordinary.

Bill Brandom said that they may not hold up well in the average American
home. Any piano which, having spent some years in a humid environment,
is then moved to a dry climate, will tend to experience problems
eventually. However, since our sea coast climate is very similar to
Japan's, I would have to say that the gray-markets are well-suited to
this area and I frequently recommend them.

It is a reality that a large number of used Yamahas are being shipped to
the US. We now know, from the Tech Gazette ad, that Yamaha is not
providing any service or parts support for these gray market pianos in
the hopes of discouraging their purchase. As it is, so many people buy
pianos, without consulting anyone, from salespersons who "look honest".
I'm not so sure that Yamaha can stem the tide with a few stern words to
piano technicians. We can, as technicians, alert buyers who consult us
as to the origin of these pianos (grey-markets usually have service
record holders inside the rim [grands] or on the back of the music board
[uprights]) and advise as to whether or not the local climate might be
suitable. We might even convince a few dealers to be a little more
choosy about what they buy.

It is unfortunate that the unscrupulous dealers are effectively making a
bad name for Yamaha by selling worn out or defective pianos. But if
dealers are determined to buy container lots from these importers, then
I don't know how we technicians can educate them if they are so
ethically challenged. These suckers that are born every minute will buy
pianos from them just like they bought the substandard spinets and cheap
grands. It's a part of the market too, I guess.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, CA