Piano bench height

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:39:36 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/99 12:43:42 AM !!!First Boot!!!, cedel@redrose.net
writes:

<< Friends,

 How does one decide the proper height of the piano bench?  At my own
 ordinary piano there is about 5" between the bench top and the bottom
 front edge of the piano, but I've found between 2" and 8" on pianos I
 service.

 Since piano teachers rarely see the pianos their students practice on, I
 guess it's up to us to keep an eye out for things of this nature.

 Clyde Hollinger, RPT
 Lititz, PA

Piano benches are 19" high. The distance from the floor to the bottom of the
piano for most pianos is 23". I guess when one or the other is different, a
problem does occur. I know I have had difficulty getting my fat legs under a
piano when sitting at it, because the bottom of the piano was lower.
Sometimes I have to sit at an organ bench, which is 21" high. But there have
been benches where even my 6' frame had difficulty reaching the tuning pins
on a studio.

Willem