Samick G5 7' and V-pro

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:50:16 -0600

Hi Mark,
              Slow in catching up with this one. Thank's for the
information on Renner, most Renner parts over here are hornbeam hence my
confusion.

On the wet sand cast system there is two things to consider. The wet sand
case hardens the skin.  The trace heating in the mold facilitates slow
cooling and stress relieves the cast, plus  controls the crystalline
consistency of the free carbon (graphite) . The rate of cooling will vary
the shape of the crystals, and the amount of carbon in free form.

The V process controls the carbon distribution by the variety of addatives.
i'm trying to make sense of the hardness data that I have to post a later
date. The fact that a sand cast is case hardened there is two sets of
Brinel hardness figures one for surface and one for the core.
More on that later.

It was nice to have a beer together, with Jim B holding court. (grin)

Regards Roger

At 10:00 AM 23/08/99 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi Roger (Jolly),
>
>I'm just catching up with my pianotech backlog after being in the bush for a
>few days, now....
>
>You stated-
>"The instrument so say had Renner parts to start with, but I would question
>the shanks since they were make of maple."
>
>Renner actually do make maple shanks......I just suspect that you guys don't
>see them in US/Canada.
>Although I'm sure that RennerUSA could supply them if asked....
>
>Call me a pedant.....
>
>Thanks also for your response on the V-Pro discussion, I'm not sure I'm
>convinced.......I have been led to believe (and stand to be corrected that
>slower cooling means that the skin of the cast iron is softer compared to
>the sand cast stuff......comments?
>
>BTW it was great meeting you in KC too, maybe we'll get the chance to share
>another
>drink and some shop talk again at a PTG Convention. You guys are always
>welcome "down under" if you get here....make contact!!
>

>Cheers
>Mark Bolsius
>Bolsius Piano Services
>Canberra Australia
>(Renner distributor for Australia......... among other things)

Roger Jolly
BaldwinYamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada.