Buzzy B

piano@villagehost.com piano@villagehost.com
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 07:45:47 -0400

> My customer's 7 year old Steinway B has had a phantom buzz (which usually
> appears briefly in spring and autumn) which I have finally ear-witnessed.
> While the notes which produce the buzz are on either side of the
> tenor-treble break, the buzz is coming from the stretcher or in S&S
> terminology, the "case comice". Actually, I hope it is coming from the
> strip screwed onto the inner lip of the stretcher (just above where the
> plate felt should be). Squeezing the strip against the stretcher kills the
> buzz, but it may be the stretcher-to-case joint which is causing the noise.
> Any experience with this out there? Quick easy & perfect fixes?

Hello!

I have found this strip to be the source of noise on 2 Steinways this
year. I tried tightening all the screws on this strip but the noise still
persisted.

I stopped the noise by cutting a black rubber mute to the
appropriate size and gently wedging it between the end of the strip
and the side of the case. In both instances the piano was ebony so
the wedge was practically invisible. I am not really comfortable with
this remedy.  You may categorize this as the "Quick/Easy" fix. :)

I have been planning on posing this same question here. This strip
is not exactly attached securely. The screws are quite small. Even
when tightened, the strip can be easily rocked up and down with
two fingers. I have been contemplating placing a very thin strip of
felt between the strip and the stretcher. Any other suggestions?

Michael Musial RPT
Reedsville Pa