keybed height, ws Re: Piano bench height

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:21:40 EDT

In a message dated 9/16/99 10:47:39 PM !!!First Boot!!!, rchayden1@juno.com
writes:

<< I like a bench height that keeps my arms level with my hand,  so there is
 at most only a slight break or angle at the wrist, generally the hand a
 tad higher.  There is less tension in the tendons in a level wrist, thus
 more freedom, reach, and dexterity and available expression.  So the
 bench must match the pianist and the keyboard.  Sit them down and observe
 their playing. >>

This iis interesting.

I once had a Baldwin grand with round legs without casters, (made in the
fifties). A piano player bought it, and later complained about sore forearms.
I checked out the piano, regulated the action, but he still complained. He
then called another tech, who observed that the piano keybed was lower than
most. The different angle was creating more tension in his arms than he was
used to. The tech put caster cups under the legs, which raised the level of
the keybed to the correct height. Problem solved.

Willem Blees