Plastic keytop repair

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:40:43 -0700

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> Friends,
>
> Two days ago I tuned for an elderly lady who claims to have graduated
> from Peabody Conservatory and owns a 1940 Winter spinet (I know,
> something doesn't quite add up here).  Three of the keytops have nicks
> in the front edge.  She asked about having the nicks repaired.
>
> Advice?  I've heard about the chip repair kits but haven't tried them.
> Even though the yellowed keytop could be matched in color, wouldn't the
> color of the keytop change as one puts the finishing touches on the
> repair material with sandpaper or steel wool or whatever?  How should I
> advise this client?
>
> Clyde Hollinger. RPT

Clyde,

Don't try the acrili-key repair kit on this job.  It works well on ivory
or some of the new synthetics, but will discolor the old plastic at the
repair joint, leaving a repair that is worse than the original
condition.  (Ask me how I know.)  The only reasonable solution is to
replace the entire top with matching keytops from Vagias.

By the way, I managed to find a bench which was tall enough to reach my
seat, but one hot summer day it wouldn't let go.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA