Ecsaine

Sat, 18 Sep 1999 09:45:08 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Henselman <musicmasters@worldnet.att.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 1999 9:04 AM
Subject: Baldwin Escane (sp?) replacement cost???

> I just did my first Escane (sp?) job on a Baldwin Hamilton c.1978.  What
an
> awful job!  I used the "keep the hammer butts on the rail" technique shown
> to us at the 1998 Texas PTG convention last fall, but it was still such a
> pain.

Brian,

It is not likely that the material you replaced was Ecsaine.  It was
probably Corfam.  If you got the replacement material from Baldwin, however,
it may well have been Ecsaine.  Ecsaine is a synthetic material made by
Toray, a group of Japanese technology companies.

Ecsaine is a suede-like artificial leather.  The following is from their web
site:
"Developed in 1970, "Ecsaine" has a structure resembling natural suede and
consists of ultrafine fibers (0.01--0.09 deniers) closely intertwined into
bundles. It offers a fluffy touch, suppleness, deep color tones, and gloss;
and is lightweight, wrinkle-resistant, washable (dry cleaning only), and low
maintenance. Its excellent quality and functionality have made Ecsaine
particularly suitable for fashionable apparel and accessories; industrial
materials, including furniture, wall coverings, displays, and automobile
upholstery; and sporting goods, such as golf gloves and sports shoes."

In piano actions this material easily outperforms the leather and/or
buckskin we normally get and, as far as I know, has exhibited no adverse
hardening or aging characteristics.  I've had a sample sheet of the stuff
sitting around for about 15 years now.  It still feels like it did when I
got it.

Regards,

Del
Delwin D Fandrich