M&H Pricing

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 13:29:53 -0500 (CDT)

>Ron:
>
>We have a Mason & Hamlin CC here at SMU from the early 80s.  It is SN 1795.
> They apparently numbered their CCs differently from their other pianos.
>My question is did they really make 83 CCs between the early 60s and early
>80s?  I had not thought their production of this model was that high.
>
>dave

Hmmm... good question, Dave. I serviced the pianos for the previous owner
for a number of years before she gave them to the college. She told me her
husband had bought the piano (new) for her in the early sixties for a bit
over $4000. That's the only dating source I have for it. My Pierce doesn't
give any clue as to how the CC numbers fit into history, which strikes me as
a ridiculous way to run a chronology. So either my information is incorrect,
or they really did make that many. There's another one of these in a Middle
School auditorium that I also tune, which would seem to indicate that they
aren't all that rare. So can anyone tell us how the numbers *do* fit into
history?

 Ron N