RCT

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 12:50:33 -0600

Hi Frank,
               A little light or perhaps, or mud on the subject. Re
inharmonicity, my current passion and night mares.
 Lets assume a reasonable curve has been calculated of equal quality, by
any of the three major ET's.
 Point 2 we are dealing with a well scaled piano but the voicing is a
little uneven.
 For simplicities sake we will look at octave 5 upwards.
 In this register upwards we are tuning to the second partial aurally, as
with the ET.
 If you have a very bright note the 2nd is almost non existent and the
inharmonicity also increases.Aurally your brain reverts to the fundamental.
so in the next octave you compound the error, and so on up the scale. With
your interval checks we back track and fudge the error.
With the ET's and a fixed curve, a badly voiced note will sound wrong, but
the error will be corrected in the next octave.
In KC I demonstrated this effect with Gina in my voicing class. Gina tuned
an octave for zero beat, I detuned the octave by voicing the upper note,
and retuned the octave when voicing the lower note.
Unless we fully understand what is taking place with inharmonicity, (and I
don't) this will be a never ending debate. I do know that from my work on
the subject, both Dean and Bob are diligently paying attention to the
inharmonicity problems.
As a side note the calculated values for inharmonicity are entirely
different than the real time measurements.
I have conducted a wide variety of test with a good aural tuner vs RCT ,on
PSO's, (scaling, reg, and voicing, loaded with errors). Neither of us would
want to comment as to which is the better tuning.
For concert work, I am happy trusting my RCT and back tracking to fix
voicing anomilies, aurally our brain can quickly compromise, and make
corrections. The ET's are fixed, but in the majority of cases, on good
instruments, it can be used as an invaluable trouble shooting tool, if one
knows how to use it.
No answers I'm afraid, just mud to cloud the waters.
Have a nice day.
Roger

Roger Jolly
BaldwinYamaha Piano Centre